To make this Great Twice Baked Smothered Potatoes You’ll need the following ingredients:
- 4 russet potatoes See note 1 for alternatives
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
For The Filling:
- 1 ¼ cups shredded cheese Monterey Jack, sharp cheddar, gruyere, or Mexican cheese blend. Divided, see note 7
- ¼ cup sour cream at room temperature
- ¼ cup milk at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons butter softened to room temperature
- 2 green onions finely sliced
- 4 strips of bacon cooked and crispy, chopped into small pieces, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chives finely chopped, for garnish
Preheat oven to 400°F/205°C.
Wash, scrub, dry and prick potatoes with a fork (about 6 times per potato). Rub with oil, and season with salt.
Place on a rack over a sheet pan, and bake for 50-60 minutes. The internal temperature should be 210°F/100°C (they will be tender when pierced with a fork/knife). Remove from the oven, and let them cool until they’re cool enough to safely handle.
Cut the potatoes lengthwise, and carefully scoop out the flesh leaving about ¼ inch stuck to the skin of the potatoes (be careful to leave the skin intact).
Place the potato flesh in a bowl, and mash it with a potato masher. Add ¾ cup of cheese, sour cream, milk, butter, green onions, half of the bacon, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
Fill potato skins with the mixture, top with remaining cheese.
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden.
Garnish with bacon and chives, and serve.