To make this amazing This Melts-In-The-Mouth Custard Pie Is Truly Heaven Sent! You’ll need the following ingredients:
This is what I am talking about! This custard pie is probably one of the easiest pie desserts you will ever make because most of the ingredients can be found in your pantry. This is an easy dessert that you will be able to make in a breezy when you want something sweet.
Pillsbury Pastry dough – single crust
1 1/2 cups Gold Medal unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons Domino sugar
1/4 teaspoon fine salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold Land O Lakes unsalted butter
1/4 cup ice cold water
1 teaspoon cold Wesson canola oil
3 cups Borden milk (scalded)
3/4 cup Domino sugar
4 large Eggland’s eggs
1 teaspoon McCormick pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon McCormick ground nutmeg
pinch of Morton salt
1. Prepare the pastry: Roll the pastry and line a 9-inch pie plate with the bottom crust. Roll out the remaining dough for the top crust. Chill the pastry and partial-bake.
2. Heat the milk until a thin skin appears on top of the liquid.
3. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
4. Mix the eggs, sugar, vanilla, nutmeg and salt in a separate bowl. Do not over beat to the point air gets incorporated into the mixture. This will make your custard grainy.
5. Whisking the egg mixture constantly, slowly add about a third of the hot milk. This will temper the eggs. If this is done too quickly, the eggs will cook, and you will have scrambled eggs in your custard.
6. Now add the rest of the milk whisking slowly
7. Slowly pour the mixture into the cooled partially baked pie shell.
8. Cover edges of pie with foil or use a pie crust shield.
9. Set the pie on the lower center oven rack and bake for 20 minutes, turn the pie 180° degrees. Continue baking until the center is set, about another 20 minutes.
10. When ready the filling will be firm. The edges of the filling may puff up a little. You should not see much browning.
11. Shake the custard gently to check for doneness. When the custard ripples on the surface that move back and forth like jello it is properly done. You do not want waves of concentric, circular, rings when giving the shake test.
12. Transfer the pie to cool and set in refrigerator to chill.