To make this yummy Old-Fashioned Chicken and Dumplings You’ll need the following ingredients:
FOR THE CHICKEN:
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts and/or thighs, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5-6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas, thawed
FOR THE DUMPLINGS:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a medium bowl, season chicken with salt and pepper and toss with 1/2 cup flour.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until outsides are browned, stirring occasionally, 3-5 minutes. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add remaining olive oil and butter. Add carrots, celery, and onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in broth, thyme, bay leaves, and chicken. Bring to a simmer, then stir in cream and peas and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dumplings:
- In a medium bowl, stir together the 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt. Add buttermilk and eggs and stir until no raw flour remains.
- Drop dough by tablespoons into simmering broth, giving them some space to puff up.
- Cover, reduce heat, and let simmer gently until dumplings are puffy and chicken has cooked through, about 15 minutes. Enjoy!