To make this easy Mmmm… A Delicious Beer Battered Halibut You’ll need the following ingredients:
You will need:
- 3-4 lbs halibut filets (or substitute similar firm-fleshed fish)
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 cup beer
- Cut halibut into pieces, about 3 inches square. Pieces should be no more than an inch thick; slice in half horizontally if necessary. Pat dry. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Set aside.
- In medium mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, and oil. Pour in beer and whisk until just smooth. Fold in egg whites.
- Heat about 1/2 inch of canola oil in a large saute pan, then reduce heat to medium-low. Dip each piece of fish into the batter and fry for about 8-12 minutes per side, depending on size and thickness. As each piece comes out of the oil, drain on paper towels. Serve immediately, with tartar sauce.
- This also makes delicious sandwiches the next day, spread with more tartar sauce and topped with a few leaves of crisp lettuce.