To make this Great Mexican Taco Pasta You’ll need the following ingredients:
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 8-12 ounces medium pasta shells or other small dry pasta shapes (about 3-4 cups dry)
- 1 small onion chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 (14 ounces) can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies drained (if making this for kids you might want to use just plain diced tomatoes)
- 1 packet taco seasoning (4 tablespoons)
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper
Cook pasta according to the package directions. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of pasta water. Set aside.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the ground meat over medium-high heat until no longer pink. A few minutes before the meat is cooked through, add the chopped onion to the skillet. Once the meat is cooked through, mix in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add in the diced tomatoes and taco seasoning and let simmer over medium heat for about 3-5 minutes.
Stir in the cream cheese, sour cream and reserved pasta water, and continue stirring until the cream cheese is melted and the sauce is well blended. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer over medium-low heat 3-5 minutes to reduce the sauce a bit if it is still too thin. Add the pasta a little at a time. You may not need all of it. Stir to coat.
Toss in the cilantro right before serving for some fresh color and flavor. Serve with a green salad.