To make this easy Mexican Shrimp Cocktail You’ll need the following ingredients:
- 1 medium white onion
- 6 large cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound large shrimp (16-20 count), peeled, deveined and tails removed except for 6 to go on top as garnish
- ¾ cup ketchup
- ¾ cup clam juice
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lime juice (or to taste)
- Mexican hot sauce, to taste
- ½ small jicama, peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
- ½ large English cucumber, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium avocados, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup chopped cilantro, loosely packed
- lime wedges, for serving
- cilantro sprigs, for serving
- Cut onion in half. Dice half and cut the other half into large chunks. Place diced onion in a sieve and run under cold running water; drain.
- Fill a saucepan with water. Add onion chunks, garlic cloves, 2 tablespoons salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil. Add shrimp, turn off heat and let sit 1 minute or until shrimp are pink and cooked through. Drain and let shrimp cool. Discard onion and garlic.
- Combine ketchup, clam juice, lime juice and hot sauce.
- In another bowl, combine cooled shrimp, diced onion, jicama, cucumber, avocado and cilantro.
- Pour dressing over shrimp and vegetable combination, toss to coat.
- Serve in large, wide-rimmed glasses with a shrimp on top. Garnish with a lime wedge and cilantro springs.