To make this amazing HOMEMADE HAMBURGER PEPPERS AND ONION GYROS You’ll need the following ingredients:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon each dried oregano, ground thyme, ground cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 pitas
- Optional toppings: lettuce, sliced tomato, sliced cucumber, sliced red onion, fresh dill and feta cheese
- ¾ cup greek yogurt
- ¾ cup grated cucumber (I like to use an English cucumber)
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, finely chopped
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled
Add the ground beef to a skillet over medium-high heat and cook until browned, about 5-7 minutes. Add the seasonings and ½ cup of water. Simmer over medium heat until the sauce has thickened around the meat, about 5 minutes.
While the beef cooks, make the Tzatziki sauce. Start by squeezing the excessive liquid out of the grated cucumber, discarding the liquid. In a small bowl, mix the grated cucumber with the remaining ingredients.
To assemble a gyro, layer a pita with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion, and ground beef, then finish with tzatziki sauce, fresh dill and feta cheese.