To make this awesome Homemade Amish Sweet Bread You’ll need the following ingredients:
- 2 cups water
- 5½ to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1½ tablespoons active dry years
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- Heat the water in a pot over a moderate heat on the stove.
- Once it reaches a boil, you can stir in the sugar and let it dissolve.
- Next take the pot off the heat and mix in the yeast.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes so the yeast can activate.
- Now stir in the oil and salt.
- Add a cup of flour at a time, beating well between each addition.
- Keep adding the flour until the dough will clump into a ball but is still sticky.
- You might not need to use all the flour.
- Flour a work surface and turn the dough on to it.
- Knead for 5 minutes.
- Each time it gets too sticky sprinkle some flour on it.
- Coat the inside of a bowl with cooking spray and put the ball of dough in there.
- Cover with a clean cloth and leave somewhere warm so it can rise.
- After an hour, punch down the dough and divide it into 2 halves.
- Put each half into a greased loaf tin.
- Cover again and let it sit for half an hour so it can rise some more.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through.