To make this Great Dublin Coddle You’ll need the following ingredients:
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 2 lbs bratwurst
- 1 head green cabbage, cut into 6 wedges
- 2 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes, halved or quartered
- 2 yellow onions, sliced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325°F and arrange potato slices in a 5-quart baking dish. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a large lidded pot, cook the bacon until crispy. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Add sausages to pot and cook until outside is browned, remove to paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Reduce heat to medium, and add onions, cabbage, and thyme to pot. Season with salt and pepper and cover and cook until onions and cabbage have softened, about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth and vinegar, scraping up any stuck on bits. Bring mixture to a simmer, then pour over potatoes in baking dish, spreading onions and cabbage out evenly.
- Place sausages on top of onions and bake until potatoes are tender, about 1 hours 15 minutes.
- Let cool 10 minutes before serving. Serve with parsley and bacon. Enjoy!