To make this Great Cream Potato Soup You’ll need the following ingredients:
- 6 cups peeled and diced Russet potatoes (about 5 medium potatoes. Dice into small cubes about 3/4-inch)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion (1 medium)
- 1 1/4 cups peeled and diced carrots (3 medium)
- 1 cup diced celery (2 stalks)
- 2 (14.5 oz each) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream*
- Cooked chopped bacon or chopped cooked ham, shredded cheddar cheese, chopped green onions or chives
Combine diced potatoes, carrots, celery and onions with chicken broth in a large pot and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Cover pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat (it will take about 10 minutes to reach a boil).
Once it reaches a boil reduce heat to medium and continue to cook about 15 – 20 minutes longer until potatoes are very soft when pierced with a fork.
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat, add flour and cook for 1 minute while whisking constantly. While whisking, slowly add milk and cook, stirring constantly until mixture begins thicken.
Once potatoes are soft add thickened milk mixture to potato soup mixture and stir (potatoes should start breaking down into soup).
Add sour cream and mix well.
Ladle soup into serving bowls, top each serving with bacon or ham, cheddar cheese and green onions.